close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

Tonedeff Polymer Physicals…

Epic Aesthetic said: Every time that I think about how poorly this release has been handled, I get slightly angry.. and then I try not to think about it for a few months - and then surprise surprise, no developments and the cycle continues.

This is the same cycle I have been going through. I understand that this is an incredibly overwhelming undertaking, but I feel like being more transparent over the last year+ would’ve cleared up a lot of confusion and frustration that has been going on. Like Timo said, dropping us breadcrumbs along the way would’ve gone a long way in easing the wait. I think it’s safe to say that the vast majority of people are still excited to receive this on their doorstep (me included) but when the album was released over a year ago, and very little has been said it leaves people confused, frustrated, and forced to come up with their own conclusions.

I haven’t listened to Polymer since about a month after release so that it would be more fresh and exciting for me when Polymorph arrives. I am still very eager to fall in love with the album all over again!

I wish you the best with your health, and I’m glad you opened up about some of the hurdles that have slowed down the process. I’ve always been confident that you will deliver on the epic promises of Polymorph. It’s just been a grueling crawl in the dark to get there.

Wow. What a day of simmering emotions boiling over. I partially agree with Timo’s frustration, but I definitely think they were brought up at an awkward time. Tone tells us that shit’s finally getting pressed and then gets slammed with backlash that probably would have done more good several months ago. Oh well. I get it.

I just want to say to Tone that I appreciate you. It’ll come when it comes. Have a good weekend ok?

As a counselor, I am sensitive to the mental health stuff, and don’t think that should be taken so flippantly. Did you really pay for Polymer thinking that Tone will be different this time, when he offered even more stuff than ever before? We are customers who are cared about enough to get extra access, but we the fans are not friends with Tone, and you can’t make assumptions about his choices and what he “should” be doing in the first place. Although, I feel like Polymer and any other personal track/verse can show that he is a pretty darn tortured artist. Whether you want to accept that as a legitimate reason is up to you, but telling someone to get their stuff together who you don’t even really know is not cool.

It’s funny because as I read all of this and was thinking about how to respond, so much of what Tone said in Polymer fits here. Especially Glutton/Use Me. He is literally giving us all of his inner thoughts and feelings, his mental capacities, his physical health, but we want it the way that we want it, even though the only thing that he owes us is the physicals themselves. Not the updates or the PR, even though that stuff is appreciated and important from an artist perspective, from Tone’s human being perspective, being a broken record and hearing people say “well we’re here waiting for it!” was only going to hurt. The best thing for his mental health would probably be to get away for a break and go to therapy. Call it tortured artist or whatever, but he is literally giving up better health in order to get this project done, from my perspective. And you can say that we didn’t ask for him to do all this, but we did. If we didn’t invest in it, he literally wouldn’t have been able to do it.

I mean, Elzhi took 3/4 years with a record label to get out Lead Poison, and Canibus took thousands for RTJ2 and he has literally avoided even talking about it for like 5 years. And don’t even get me started on some of the awful kickstarters that I have backed. Tone’s communication is tremendous compared to some companies with dozens on staff.
I understand the frustration. I’m waiting on two Polymorphs and a Polydisc. There are times when I feel the frustration expressed above for sure. I was in undergrad when I preordered; since then I have graduated undergrad, gone through a Masters program, and am now in my career. More breadcrumbs would have been nice (along with the great music from Fjer and Lucy).

And then I think about this. During these four years, I’ve done all of that schooling and work. During these four (plus) years, Tone has been spending as much of his energy as possible doing nothing besides working towards this project. The cost in time he spent on this is immeasurable. I don’t have to actively spend any time thinking about this preorder, and neither does anyone, except Tonedeff.

But all this is coming from a guy whose favorite bands before QN5 included Green Day and the Foo Fighters, so the fact that Tone will even once reply personally to a tweet of mine, and that I can preorder something and know that I’m supporting an ARTIST and not a dumb record label and warehouse is special to me. Sorry this is long. I appreciate this dialogue.

ThatLoudKid said:As a counselor, I am sensitive to the mental health stuff, and don’t think that should be taken so flippantly. Did you really pay for Polymer thinking that Tone will be different this time, when he offered even more stuff than ever before? We are customers who are cared about enough to get extra access, but we the fans are not friends with Tone, and you can’t make assumptions about his choices and what he “should” be doing in the first place. Although, I feel like Polymer and any other personal track/verse can show that he is a pretty darn tortured artist. Whether you want to accept that as a legitimate reason is up to you, but telling someone to get their stuff together who you don’t even really know is not cool.

It’s funny because as I read all of this and was thinking about how to respond, so much of what Tone said in Polymer fits here. Especially Glutton/Use Me. He is literally giving us all of his inner thoughts and feelings, his mental capacities, his physical health, but we want it the way that we want it, even though the only thing that he owes us is the physicals themselves. Not the updates or the PR, even though that stuff is appreciated and important from an artist perspective, from Tone’s human being perspective, being a broken record and hearing people say “well we’re here waiting for it!” was only going to hurt. The best thing for his mental health would probably be to get away for a break and go to therapy. Call it tortured artist or whatever, but he is literally giving up better health in order to get this project done, from my perspective. And you can say that we didn’t ask for him to do all this, but we did. If we didn’t invest in it, he literally wouldn’t have been able to do it.

I mean, Elzhi took 3/4 years with a record label to get out Lead Poison, and Canibus took thousands for RTJ2 and he has literally avoided even talking about it for like 5 years. And don’t even get me started on some of the awful kickstarters that I have backed. Tone’s communication is tremendous compared to some companies with dozens on staff.
I understand the frustration. I’m waiting on two Polymorphs and a Polydisc. There are times when I feel the frustration expressed above for sure. I was in undergrad when I preordered; since then I have graduated undergrad, gone through a Masters program, and am now in my career. More breadcrumbs would have been nice (along with the great music from Fjer and Lucy).

And then I think about this. During these four years, I’ve done all of that schooling and work. During these four (plus) years, Tone has been spending as much of his energy as possible doing nothing besides working towards this project. The cost in time he spent on this is immeasurable. I don’t have to actively spend any time thinking about this preorder, and neither does anyone, except Tonedeff.

But all this is coming from a guy whose favorite bands before QN5 included Green Day and the Foo Fighters, so the fact that Tone will even once reply personally to a tweet of mine, and that I can preorder something and know that I’m supporting an ARTIST and not a dumb record label and warehouse is special to me. Sorry this is long. I appreciate this dialogue.

This…. I understand the frustration but this is exactly how I feel. Well said.

ThatLoudKid said: We are customers who are cared about enough to get extra access, but we the fans are not friends with Tone

This. Super important before people start saying anything personal about someone they should question if they really know.

^ As a counselor, I also appreciate your point of view.

I really hope the physicals are out the door for the end of the year, if for no reason other than so Tone can close this chapter of his life for good. That’s assuming he wants to of course… I don’t get the impression the lofty expectations and deliberating workloads can be that much fun, or are worth it overall even when the fans lap it up.

I love your work Tone, especially Polymer, and I’m interested in this documentary, but for your sake I hope you can learn to make music again instead of multi-platform, high concept art. I hope it’s not out of line for me to say this, it’s your life to live, but as a fan who’s been afforded the position of following your story over the years through these boards, interviews, the podcasts etc, as well as through your music… I want you to live long and be happy and healthy, and I’m not convinced this shit will enable that. Again, hope I’m not out of line saying that.

I think the Lucy Camp stuff has been handled really well - music of a high quality, polished, detailed, conceptual to the utmost, and we’ve had two EPs in two years, with at least one of them a physical release. At the end of the day, the art shit is cool, but we’re in this for the music homey. Much love.

I’ve gone back and forth on this a bunch of times. I’ll try and get my thoughts out in a, hopefully, constructive way.

Obviously, release dates and QN5 are not great friends. But you know what? That’s fine. This has obviously gone on a lot longer than other releases, but I’ve never doubted that we would see this album release. As a consumer, this can be understandably frustrating. We aren’t really consumers, though.

Tone, I feel like I minimized the impact of your response to Timo, and for that I’m sorry. You’ve been through a personal fuck ton in the last few years and I can’t even begin to imagine what each day must feel like. I’ve been proud of you for each EP you’ve released for Polymer. Every song in one way shape or form has highlighted MANY highly personal events in your life. Whether it’s the professional frustration we hear on And They Watched Him, how destructively self-deprecating you can be to yourself on Control, or, well, the third verse of Never, you’ve peeled back a very raw version of yourself over the last couple of years. The trust you have in your fans to accept this is amazing to me and hopefully all of you if you reflect on everything Tone has said on these EPs/Polymer. Trust that can be hard to have given the actions of fuckheads that shall remain nameless. You’ve taken a bold step creatively, and coupling that with Quintic, it’s understandable that things not all be complete. Your plate is very clearly running over and its created a logjam of content. Personally this must be overwhelming coupled with your personal life and, most recently, you quitting your job to tackle this more aggressively.

I don’t want to sound shitty in saying this, but I don’t care if there is a documentary. I’m very excited to see it, and I hope you’re ultimately happy with the final product, I just hope that the juice was worth the squeeze for you. You could release one song the rest of your life and I would be ecstatic to hear it. You could also attempt to make a Arduino-powered musical flip book that syncs with The Wizard of Oz and I’d love that too, my main hope is that you don’t continue to overextend yourself to the point of debilitating stress.

Again it’s obvious that your plate is full, and as consumers we probably have a legitimate right to be upset about that re: Polymer. But as I said earlier, we aren’t simply consumers. This is a community. We have all met, for the most part. We’ve grown great friendships among us. Some of us have fallen in love. Some of us have been robbed by Amen. None of that would be possible if it wasn’t for the Megashow. I’ve seen first hand the immense stress and tireless fucking effort you’ve put into many Megashows. It’s been a while, so it isn’t fresh in a lot of our minds, but it deserves mentioning. We owe a lot to Tone, so to dismiss your current state of mental health as a scapegoat, or to minimize it in any way is really shitty of us, and like I said, I’m sorry for that. The stigma surrounding mental health is real and dismissing it as a easy out for an album that has yet to come out is not right on our part.

I think we all have valid places we’re coming from, but at the end of the day, I would trade an album for your personal well-being and for your personal satisfaction for the art that you make. It’s selfish of us to demand music. I think what might be most constructive is if we remain supportive of you and suggest ways this process can improve whether it be new Tonedeff material, Quintic, or anything else.

Sidebar: I likely have a labrum tear in my shoulder (I’m right there with you, tone) and I’m taking Norco for the constant excruciating pain, so I apologize for how awfully rambly what I wrote is. My sound mind might have been able to structure that better, but narcotics are controlling the part of me capable of being coherent haha.

I just want to clarify my stance on some things now that peoples responses are coming in.

I take the health issues seriously. I currently work in mental health and have suffered from plenty of my own issues in my time. I’m not trying to discredit the struggle that Tone’s been going through to get all of this done and I do feel really sorry for the fact he’s been through this. But my point is that in some situations such as this one, the decision to expand the scale of the documentary to the point of it ruining his life is not something I want to see. Every time Tone does anything he has to push it to this level and every time it seems to have an impact on his health. Sure, it’s impressive to see what one man can do by himself - but I would much much much much much rather see him not try to constantly push these limits to the point of breaking in future, make art that is still great and entertaining - but hopefully speed up the turnaround time and keep both sides happy. Again, we want to see Tone having fun. We want him to be healthy. We want to watch him enjoy this process and we want to enjoy it too so that we can be happy, supportive, passionate fans. I get that us wanting something doesn’t mean we deserve it - but it’s hard to understand why we can’t try to help each other out here.

Another point being made is the fact that I don’t know Tone on a personal level and might be pushing the boundary with addressing some things. It’s a fair point and a tricky grey area for me. Whilst on the one hand I’ve been following his music for over a decade, have thoroughly analysed his entire discography full of deeply personal songs, listened to all the podcasts/livestreams, been involved in plenty of lengthy discussions on this forum, spoken in person at shows and watched every drip and drab of public communication over the years - the bottom line is I’m a stranger from the internet and I don’t know the inside scoop. Tone’s personal life is not public domain (except for when it kind of is.. within the music). I respect that. The fan - artist relationship is blurry at times when we’re dealing with such a historically close-knit community.

But regardless of how well we all know each other in our personal lives, in this place right here.. we are a family. We understand each other. We have common ground. The people who’s lives have changed because of this label know what I’m talking about. We’ve been around a long time and we’ve been through a lot together. We all care about each other and the fact that people are all talking right now that haven’t for years, the fact we are seeing some passion splash back into this forum that has been a ghost town - Dwilli coming out of the woodwork for christ’s sake - that’s something positive to me. But families have arguments sometimes - fans are frustrated that a bridge of communication that was once there has disappeared completely. We’ve been asking about this project for a while and there’s been very little response in return, which is frustrating. The longer that the wait has gone, the less communication there has been and the more frustrated people have become. It’s reached this point where there’s a resentment building and an avoidance that nobody wants to happen. I don’t believe for one second that Tone wants his core fan base to be pissed off and disillusioned with him - so let’s try and turn this ship around shall we?

Yes Polymer is finally in the pressing process but make no mistake, a lot of damage has been done here. If we try to ignore or gloss over that and pretend like it never happened - the wounds will never fully heal. There’s a lot of trust that’s been lost. It can be won back, but we need to see something change, we need to see more acknowledgement, more understanding, more transparency - or - the passion and support fades away. The fan base dwindles. Not out of spite, but out of exhaustion. I don’t want that.. I don’t think anyone does.

The fans want some answers. We want to be talked to. We want to care. We want to support. We can’t do that if we’re shouting our grievances at a blank wall.

I get that I’ve gone in a bit hard on this thread and have put a few targets on my back - but honestly I didn’t know what else I could do to provoke some conversation. I felt like I had to do something. And I’ll happily be the bad guy if it means Tone can be the hero. I’m just trying to address the issues that are going ignored. I want an open dialogue from all parties because otherwise we’re all just bitching behind each other’s backs and being pissed off. It doesn’t seem impossible for us to sort this situation out either, but we need some good will, I’ve spelled out some questions and suggestions - if none of them work, that’s fair enough, but understanding why not would go a long way. We just want to know what’s going on.

I’ve had some reservations about posting in this thread - as I don’t believe I’m as involved / passionate with Tonedeff’s career as others who have posted thus far.

There are so many points in both side that I find myself agreeing with.

Firstly, the delays - and lack of correspondence with reasoning - are the most painful part from a fans perspective. How many times have we heard that the physicals are coming soon? How long ago was the Snapchat story saying the documentary was as good as done? If there’s a problem, tell us. We’ve paid good money (with a good few of us ordering more than one copy) to help you make this project the beast that you imagined it would be - we at least deserve regular communication regarding the delays. It has nothing to do with entitlement. We have invested in you, it’s the least you could do.

Timo mentioned giving us ‘breadcrumbs’ to pacify us, but that really wouldn’t be necessary if we were kept in the loop. It shouldn’t take us constantly asking before you provide an update - and it certainly shouldn’t have gone this far that makes this last few day inescapable. Regular updates, no matter how vague, can go a very long way - especially with the loving, loyal fan base you have built.

This dialogue wouldn’t be happen if you didn’t have such a loyal fanbase.

ThatLoudKid has already brought up Elzhi, but I want to touch on it from a different angle. Shortly before the album actually came out, there were a large number of backers who had set the ball in motion to start court proceedings to recover their costs for him failing to deliver - because although he has loyal fans that will support his every release, he doesn’t have that bond with his fan base like you do. We want to see you prosper, they wanted to see Elzhi’s product. There’s a big difference.

It does seem that with your response to Timo’s initial post, that you’re losing you way with the fans and you don’t seem to really care. You simply cannot turn yourself into the victim in this situation. Accept that you’ve fucked up; accept that you’ve neglected us; hold your hands up and do something before it gets too late.

I’d like to know what, other than the finished product, would actually quell your (and my) frustration towards this process? Do you really think that he doesn’t care? What does him caring about us look like? He’s losing money on this product for us and spending ridiculous amounts of time doing what we ordered. Just packing all of the stuff alone (that we knowingly asked for when we ordered) takes an insane amount of care for the fans. Of all the other artists I listen to, the most that they usually do is bundle a vinyl record and a t-shirt. And the big ones don’t even have to see the product once, let alone order and package it. It’s personal, and it’s coming. He’s always made sure we know that he’s working on it and not moving on to another venture completely or stopping production.

I don’t see how he owes us more than what he promised, which are the physical packages. Getting weekly updates wouldn’t change anything, we’d still be waiting just as long, and like Tone himself said, it’d just be worse for him. He’d have to deal with a weekly questioning, weekly criticism, over something that he is dedicating his life and money to and we just put in some money and some time towards. Would it make you feel a little better for a little bit? Maybe. But then you’d want an update again. And if you look back, he has given updates at least monthly in various ways (except I think when his health was at his worst).

I don’t know who you are, but I agree with everything you’ve said

Let me also start by saying that I respect all of the points you are making. You’re single-handedly holding up the other side of the argument here and you seem like a good dude.

ThatLoudKid said:I’d like to know what, other than the finished product, would actually quell your (and my) frustration towards this process?

A few heads ups here and there - a few sentences to acknowledge the delay and that things were progressing - this feels like it should have been the minimum. Just a small torch to aid in the darkness.

A detailed breakdown wouldn’t have been necessary - but it would have been appreciated. Likewise some other teasers, very small gestures, a photo of him working on something, a remix single put out (I mean the extra work this adds is basically just a single piece of artwork I’m guessing), other tidbits, anything really - would have gone a long way just to fill those gaps.

Ideally from a fan perspective, I was really looking forward to seeing those videos (we thought were done - I’m guessing now they aren’t) spread out over the wait. I would have liked to have read a Polyblog on Phantom like we got for the other EPs - not too long after the music came out so that we were still in the process of going through the album and it would have maximum effect. I was under the impression that so much had been done in the preparation of Polymer, that when the music came it would open the floodgates. But what actually happened was everything went dark.

Now I’m not sure why this is. Perhaps Tone’s mental health took a dive after finally getting that project out. Whatever the reasons are, I don’t know - because nobody is being told anything. I wanted to celebrate that album, to celebrate the mammoth of work undertaken. I wanted to celebrate Tonedeff.

ThatLoudKid said:Do you really think that he doesn’t care?

I know he cares. Which, rightfully or wrongfully - is why I’ve posted my thoughts here. I want to see that he cares. I know that other people want to see that he cares. If all the hard work and pain he’s been putting himself through behind the scenes is because he cares - then others should know that actually, despite the disappearing act, he does care.

Hopefully the documentary will be the defining moment of proving how much he does. But I think the darkness in between has not helped one bit.

ThatLoudKid said:Getting weekly updates wouldn’t change anything, we’d still be waiting just as long, and like Tone himself said, it’d just be worse for him. He’d have to deal with a weekly questioning, weekly criticism, over something that he is dedicating his life and money to and we just put in some money and some time towards. Would it make you feel a little better for a little bit? Maybe. But then you’d want an update again. And if you look back, he has given updates at least monthly in various ways (except I think when his health was at his worst).

Nobody said anything about weekly. There have been periods of several months without a whisper - when the last things said were along the lines of ‘almost done’. And actually I disagree with your point about it leading to criticism: historically the audience here is always very supportive of any issues and communication from Tone at all. I see nothing but support when he talks about his health issues or other external factors. People accept the frustration because they can empathise with what he’s saying. That’s a lot harder when nothing is being said.

Perhaps there isn’t a place here for passionate fans anymore. Maybe being a Tonedeff fan is all about being passive now. Maybe I care too much. Maybe we should all completely forget about his work until it arrives - and just accept that it has to be whenever that needs to be.

But then I remind myself of a situation from a few months ago where I was at a party and a person I hadn’t seen in ages came up and talked to me about Polymer. He is nowhere near as big a fan as me, but I had convinced him to buy a copy a few years ago and he engaged the conversation. He was frustrated that from his point of view (again not even checking as much as I do) he had heard nothing about where this was. To him - person who isn’t huge fan - he’d essentially been robbed of money and hung out to dry. He continued to talk about business and marketing decisions that had made this worse. I was completely stumped. Not only am I not used to people talking about Tonedeff with me in real life - but I had no excuses cued up. Nothing to draw from in terms of inside fan knowledge and I couldn’t help but find myself agreeing with the points he was making. Not only was it kind of embarrassing for me, but it made me question my entire stance on all this.

I don’t want to see Tonedeff’s reputation fizzle out because we watched what happened and never said anything. This forum isn’t some blog post on a well read website to gain attention, I’m not mobilising people against him, I’m not trying to cause damage here - this forum is the inner circle, the community, the only place really to put these discussions out there. If this isn’t said in this space - then it’s not being said.

There might be a lot of people who don’t care about the delays or the lack of communication and are totally fine with how everything has been - fair enough. But there are still a lot of people who are bothered by these things, deeply so - and they have to be considered valid. Otherwise all we’re saying is Tone is invulnerable to criticism at all times and anyone who opposes his decisions is not a fan in his books. If those are the rules he sets, then there’s nothing I can say to go against it - my head is resting firmly on the chopping board and I can be the example when he swings the sword.

But I’m hoping instead that he can be compassionate, understanding and alleviate concerns, open up just a little bit so that we know what we’re working with (this has been the status quo with Tone for a decade) and focus this energy towards the future - hype us for Polyoptics, for music videos, for everything else. Let us know where the direction he’s heading in so that we can be equipped to react accordingly next time.

Completely agree with Epic Aesthetic, great posts. I’ve wanted to mention this for a while but I didn’t want to come across as negative as I am a huge fan of Tonedeff and QN5, but the wait has been tough, especially in the last year where I really began to lose faith. If the album was still been crafted and put together it is a different thing, but the fact it came out over a year ago and we are still waiting for the physicals - as paid customers who paid over 3 years ago it is not fair.

I could not wait for it back then, but since then I have moved to another country where I have moved addresses twice, changed employment and honestly my interest for this has waned considerably as a result of the delays.

I co sign everything Epic Aesthetic has said, I completely sympathize with Tone and I wish him the best as always. Seems to be a really nice guy and one of the few rappers ever to blow me away on tracks, but I think this should have handled a lot differently. Maybe get someone to help out with all the physicals and let Tone get the break and the rest he needs?

ThatLoudKid said:I’d like to know what, other than the finished product, would actually quell your (and my) frustration towards this process?

It really all comes down to this. The more excuses and apologies for the delay, the more contemptuous we might become. Had we received teasers or remixes, we just would have wanted the physicals even sooner and it diminishes the final product. I understand the frustrations from many of you here but this has been a marathon and we’re finally seeing the finish line.

Man you guys said a lot. The irony here is that “pre-orders” are “release dates” evil brother. If one is not willing or able to give a release date why in the world would they accept pre-orders? I remember when QN5 gave up the whole release date thing and started to release music suddenly (or at least no longer than a couple weeks away from a release date notice) and even now I think CL learned from the whole preorder fiasco that has plagued so many musicians including Tone and now with CLs new L.P. there won’t be preorders for the physical vinyl, they’ll just sell it when it’s made. I guess Tone assumed that the preorders would cover the costs or at least make it possible but I have to wonder if it were better Tone just never took preorders and just released what he could and those who were lucky enough to be early to buy the physical when it dropped would have it but now Tone has an obligation to produce as many physical as was ordered which might be impossible plus in trying to do so the wait for it to be released will be long asf. Plus I doubt Tone wants for some to receive the physical they ordered and others to have to wait like a year later. It’s a crazy situation.

I can see a lot of reasons why Timo is mad. One reason I picked up in reading his response is his desire to have the physical experience with the digital, but the digital dropped so long ago and so there is this great disconnect. Also the story about getting a casual hip-hop fan friend to buy the album only to have nothing to show for so long has hot to be hard. Similar thing happened to me once with a friend and an investment. I convinced a friend to invest his money in something and the price kept dropping. The price eventually rose but it was a while later. I’m not sure if the friend sold too early or not and lost out or if he sold at the right time but we stopped talking about it and for a while had a falling out where we stopped talking all together. We still haven’t spoken in years.

I still look forward to the documentary and I hope some people’s negative words towards it hasn’t made Tone feel like he’s been doing all the work on it for no appreciation.

BTW Tone’s delays are nothing compared to another rapper I know: Vakill. This guy went on a 5 year hiatus (even made a song about it on his last album) then dropped 1 remix in that same year in 2011 and since then almost 7 years later has not dropped a single bar! But for years every few months would tweet about an EP he was working on, even with a song produced by Kno. I searched Twitter and he has made over like 30 tweets of release dates that have gone an passed for this EP over the years since 2012 but still not dropped a bar of music in the last 6+ years and has only released 1 album in the last 11 years with little to no other music except a couple songs since. But granted he’s not holding fans money like Tone. But at least Tone gave us the EPs for free, that’s gotta count for something.

Anyway I don’t know what else to say. I hope everything works out.

Do I have anything to add? Nah. I get the frustration, I get the counter argument. For me, I actually kinda like the delay: I know that sounds crazy to some of you. I know I’m older and busier, but for me the best I ever had with a piece of art was when Low End Theory got caught in my cassette player in my first $600 car. I listened to that album carefully, in the background, gradually, pointlessly with no other music to disrupt for a whole year while I saved up money to replace that cassette player. I don’t do that anymore and I know it is technology and my life, and other bullshit…But waiting, wanting something, listening to what I have continually because that’s all I have. Nostalgia’s a bitch, I guess. I’m here whenever it comes and it ain’t bothering me. But I also have a receipt for a preorder of Detox at a Hastings store: So there’s probably just something wrong with me….

I was going to write a LONG reply.

but I can save you all time by summarizing

1. This project is not delayed because Tone just feels like yall need to wait.

2. Tone wants you to have this product more than you do.

3. I have seen first hand what went into this, and this is as close to exactly the way an artist wants his product to be as you will ever get. So if you wanted it to be less perfect for the sake of having it sooner, then you are a fan of the wrong kind of musician.

4.Lastly regardless of what you paid, you are getting a steal because that price doesn’t come close to covering what goes into this. Not your problem, but just know that.

Even if you get everything in 3 years from now you have a limited edition piece of work that an artist did 100% on his own at a level that would take a team of 30 to complete.

Tone is giving you something very personal and special. Your sacrifice in time (waiting) does not compare to his.

My 2 cents

Allow me to add my two cents. I’ve since purchased a car that doesn’t have a CD player. New cars be all digital and shit. So that sucks.

ChiTownBlues said:Allow me to add my two cents. I’ve since purchased a car that doesn’t have a CD player. New cars be all digital and shit. So that sucks.

So your saying had you gotten this CD in 2016 you wouldn’t have gotten the car? Or that you won’t be able to play the digital version of the album in this car, starting like the day you bought it?

Sorry I’m asking for a friend

PackFM said:

ChiTownBlues said:Allow me to add my two cents. I’ve since purchased a car that doesn’t have a CD player. New cars be all digital and shit. So that sucks.

So your saying had you gotten this CD in 2016 you wouldn’t have gotten the car? Or that you won’t be able to play the digital version of the album in this car, starting like the day you bought it?

You can tell your friend new cars without CD players are dumb. Like why take that option away from me stupid Chevy.

ChiTownBlues said:

PackFM said:

You can tell your friend new cars without CD players are dumb. Like why take that option away from me stupid Chevy.

Funny, when I purchased my car a couple years ago I just assumed it had one. Week later I tried to pop in a cd and I was like wtf. My car also doesn’t have an aux port and the usb port doesn’t support android, so if my Bluetooth fails I’m screwed. Will probably just install a CD player at some point.

Good news though, tone posted the polydisc case today and said they’re close to shipping.

I was very shocked to see the way this thread transformed these past weeks. After reading every post I found myself itching to write. Even though I’m never active on the boards, I have a feeling that everyone that will ever visit this website is family. And we all know it’s okay to share feelings with family, so here goes. While nobody will agree 100% with anyone else I think it’s important that we all realize these feelings stem from a love of Tone, QN5, or just music. It all stems from love. Why do we post here? Why do we care about what Tone goes through? Why do some of us get so frustrated over something others might view as not that important or obscure as Tonedeff? We all have a deep love or passion for this to even be on the boards. That’s why this is actually an issue that we so desperately WANT to fix or at least address.

The darkness sucks. The delays suck. Tone practically killing himself to do this for us sucks. But behind the constant suckiness and despair that this project seems to be instilling in everyone involved, fans included, I do find room to appreciate what is happening still. Family is coming together and voicing opinions after years of quiet “hello’s” and “long time no see’s”. As others have said that the waiting is making them less interested in the final product, I can see the reasoning behind your words, but I do think that there is a slight misjudgment to your thinking. To lose interest would to be to not care. To be indifferent about the state of happenings. To not feel the need to check the boards to find out about our favorite artist. Like I said above, there is and will always be some inherent love for SOMETHING about this label and this music. In ten years every person with passion enough to write on this board will still get some sort of emotional response from this music. I guarantee it.

I know for a fact everyone will be so goddamn excited when they get this package. That’s the way this kind of fandom and this art works.

Now while I most definitely agree with some frustrations that come with the unfortunate delays, I can find myself still optimistic about all of this. After the surge that was the second week of October on this board, I believe we have gone passive and slightly less heated again. I urge everyone who hasn’t already to take a step back and look at what has happened here. A family came together and talked out something that was happening and affecting all of our lives to one degree or another, some more than others. I know dozens of others have stayed silent in the discussion, but there really is something that we should all realize. This is not our whole life.

Nobody is Tone. Tone is the only one who can say QN5 is my life, QN5 is everything (but it really even isn’t anymore). We all have the passion for it, but I really don’t think we should let what happens on this label really affect us like it seems to have (although I do not presume to know anyone here personally enough to really make that statement, but I still feel it should be said). This music. This label. This artist. All of these things should have a positive impact on our lives, and if it takes a little while to happen then so be it. We all have our own lives to live in the meantime. Let Tone live his.

Now I also know that the argument about us paying a decent chunk of change for these special editions is pretty legitimate. But it’s just money, and it’s been years since we’ve spent that money. It’s. Just. Money. Our product will come, and it will be EXACTLY as Tone wants it to be.

BUT, I am also not too happy about how the wait has been handled, but I can live with it. I am also not trying to put Tone on a pedestal saying that no mistakes have been made, some have been made. But hey, that’s life. I’m gonna go live mine, and when my Polymorph comes in, my life will be the better for it.

Note: I do not want to sound preachy here, but I really think now that tempers have cooled, the fans here should really look at how little this delay has really effected them.

Or you can think I’m completely wrong. You’re your own people. You do you Smile

Nonetheless, those are my feelings about this, whatever ‘this’ is.

PackFM gives me confidence. This is just unprecedented for me, as I’ve never done a Kickstarter type pre-order.