close

Join the QN5 community

close

Please login

Forgot your password?

Tonedeff So I remixed the ENTIRE Polymer album…

a3861131103_10.jpg

Hello everyone,

Some may remember me dropping a few remixes back in the days here on the forum which I used to go by Future, like my username. I go by Lonecrew now and some may know me from the Competitive Nature RMX I did for Tone on the QN5 RMX VOL.5. Since the release of Polymer I’ve made it a mission to remix the whole album and be able to make it justice and have a product worth listening to.

Feel free to ask me any questions regarding the project, I feel like having a discussion about it here with all the blue schooler could be pretty dope!

So here it is, POLYMER DEGRADATION.

W/ VOCALS:
https://soundcloud.com/lonecrew/sets/tonedeff-x-lonecrew-polymer

INSTRUMENTALS:
https://soundcloud.com/lonecrew/sets/tonedeff-x-lonecrew-polymer-degradation-instrumentals

BUY INSTRUMENTALS:
https://lonecrew.bandcamp.com/album/tonedeff-x-lonecrew-polymer-degradation-instrumentals

- Lonecrew

First of all, I just wanted to say that this is a special piece of work and people shouldn’t go into it looking at this as a simple remix album. It is far more complex than that.

Anyways, given the attention to detail I imagine that a lot went into this when you started. When recreating an album like Polymer.. what did that process look like?

mattthegod said:First of all, I just wanted to say that this is a special piece of work and people shouldn’t go into it looking at this as a simple remix album. It is far more complex than that.

Anyways, given the attention to detail I imagine that a lot went into this when you started. When recreating an album like Polymer.. what did that process look like?

Thanks man! So I had the plan on remixing the whole album when I heard Tone was dropping the acapellas with the special edition. Polymer is such a cohesive album and has so much depth to it that I needed to create this as such, a piece of art. I went and listened to polyoptics various times to kinda convey the same energy into each track cause that documentary is just wow. I also made sure to have a break on my listening to the original record in order to come with a clear vision and not just remixing a track then another then another = album. More of a lets make this a album that is a reimagining of the original approach if it makes sense hahaha. Lots of hours and years of work, kept Tone in the loop the whole time which also helped in perfecting the record!

I’ll circle back with more thoughts, but I need to know - did Tone re-record the chorus of “Use Me” or did you pitch/manipulate it, or does it just sound crazy different with a different chord progression? I love how it sounds like that.

amplifya said:I’ll circle back with more thoughts, but I need to know - did Tone re-record the chorus of “Use Me” or did you pitch/manipulate it, or does it just sound crazy different with a different chord progression? I love how it sounds like that.

Hmm. I might need to go back. I didn’t notice that. Then again I’m also not a producer like you and Lonecrew.

amplifya said:I’ll circle back with more thoughts, but I need to know - did Tone re-record the chorus of “Use Me” or did you pitch/manipulate it, or does it just sound crazy different with a different chord progression? I love how it sounds like that.

The fun thing about the stems is the crazy amount of stuff in the background that is noticeable once you listen to every sound of the track. I started the remix using the original chorus but when I stumbled in those files on this particular part( the end portion if I’m right) and restuck it together to make it fit the track. One of the first track I completed and reworked the last verse in order to not make it redundant.

Props on doing this, really ambitious, it sounds great front to back. My favorite tracks are the ones that feel to me at least like the biggest departures from the originals - on my first listen the standouts were Moment, Use Me, and Narcissus. I love that the explosive manic narcissism being expressed in the original was transformed into something that feels reflective and a little sad. Similarly with Moment the second half feels heavier and sadder than the original which I really dig for the content of the song. “Use Me” might be my favorite of all though, using that section of the chorus under your synth line was totally transformative, plus the ambiance of it just really works with the vocals for me. Awesome work

100% enamored with this
favorites so far are competitive nature, use me, and phantom. manages to put a fresh spin on the album while still coming off as an original piece of work
a great gift for the 4th anniversary of polymer Smile

amplifya said:Props on doing this, really ambitious, it sounds great front to back. My favorite tracks are the ones that feel to me at least like the biggest departures from the originals - on my first listen the standouts were Moment, Use Me, and Narcissus. I love that the explosive manic narcissism being expressed in the original was transformed into something that feels reflective and a little sad. Similarly with Moment the second half feels heavier and sadder than the original which I really dig for the content of the song. “Use Me” might be my favorite of all though, using that section of the chorus under your synth line was totally transformative, plus the ambiance of it just really works with the vocals for me. Awesome work

Thanks man! Really enjoying seeing the diverse in people’s favorite. Watching The documentary during this process was definitely a big influence in the sound. Glad you’re enjoying the project so far!

themanthemyth said:100% enamored with this
favorites so far are competitive nature, use me, and phantom. manages to put a fresh spin on the album while still coming off as an original piece of work
a great gift for the 4th anniversary of polymer Smile

It was definitely the plan, Competitive Nature was a tough one considering I’ve done a remix version prior to this project! Thanks for the kind words!

Maaaaaan!! It’s taken me a few days to listen to this because I wanted to give it a proper listen (dad life), and so glad that I did. This was incredible! First of all, let me just say that I am in the camp of Polymer being one of the best musical experiences of the past decade or so. And I mean “experience.” Everything about the album is what makes it incredible: the art work, documentary, the build up, the execution, everything. You don’t just listen to Polymer, you really do experience it. With that being said, this remix album is perfect!! It’s different enough to be enjoyable by itself, but doesn’t take away from the artistry that Tone put into it. I loved it! A lot! And I went into it not expecting much and just planned on skimming through it (sorry). But after two tracks, I knew this needed full attention. Well done! And I will be coming back to this quite a bit! I appreciate your work on this!

LivingLegend said:Maaaaaan!! It’s taken me a few days to listen to this because I wanted to give it a proper listen (dad life), and so glad that I did. This was incredible! First of all, let me just say that I am in the camp of Polymer being one of the best musical experiences of the past decade or so. And I mean “experience.” Everything about the album is what makes it incredible: the art work, documentary, the build up, the execution, everything. You don’t just listen to Polymer, you really do experience it. With that being said, this remix album is perfect!! It’s different enough to be enjoyable by itself, but doesn’t take away from the artistry that Tone put into it. I loved it! A lot! And I went into it not expecting much and just planned on skimming through it (sorry). But after two tracks, I knew this needed full attention. Well done! And I will be coming back to this quite a bit! I appreciate your work on this!

Thanks for the love! Indeed Tone created an experience which is what lead me to make the same for the remix album itself. Like mentioned before, watched the documentary a few times to make sure I was conveying my interpretation of those emotions. Wanted to make sure things were cohesive. Glad to see I exceeded expectations hahaha!